After our holidays in Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize in January, the countdown for my move from Leipzig to Boston started. In February, Franzi and I enjoyed as much time together as possible... we went to a Spa, to the movies, participated in a Tai Chi class, and travelled to the Thuringian Forest. Meanwhile, we found someone to share the flat with Franzi - at least for the first months while I'm gone... and I scored a trip to Japan for April and defended my second Ph.D. thesis. I had a great farewell party (thanks everyone!), which all made leaving anything but easy... after my last days with my family, friends, and Franzi, I departed 22.02. from Frankfurt to Boston. Franzi and I were left in tears when we had to say good bye. I was excited and terribly sad about my move at the same time...
Boston's weather did not welcome me warmly at all. One of the strongest blizards of the past century had just blown over Boston until a week before my arrival. The blizard was gone but it was still freezing cold and the city fought the snow, while spring slowly came to Germany. I spent my first week with an Airbnb, had my first walk to the Harvard Medical Campus, visited Dana-Farber's HR department, met my new PI and colleagues, had my orientation, did some sightseeing, and looked for an apartment to stay. As for the latter it turned our that I could move into the Airbnb place for several weeks at a sublease rate. That was very convenient, especially as the renting market in Boston is aweful from mid-Jan to mid-April (turned out that it is only ok mid-Dec to early Jan and mid-April to mid-August). I was surprised to be so overwhelmed at the beginning... everything was new and so much more expensive than I expected. Considering the prices, only cities like Zürich and Stockholm, probably Oslo and Paris, come close to Boston. 1,350 USD for my share of a 2-bedroom apartment of quality from the 1950s surprised and still does surprise me in the very bad way. To find worse housing, one needs to visit third world countries or maybe place a mediteranean city apartment to skandinavia. But let's say something good too^^ I was surprised in a good way that this city is a true workaholic place. You hardly find anyone just hanging around doing nothing during their day. And considering the architecture, I really enjoy the mix of old buildings like huge churches, next to modern skyscrapers. I also was lucky to meet Jens, a physician from Essen, during the Dana-Farber orientation as we both started our postdoc here. We had fun at Irish Bars for St Patricks Day/week. Also, we joined the German Academic Internation Network (GAIN) and during the first meeting we got to know Christian, a physician from Munich. We three often meet and go for drinks together :) And I quickly started using my Harvard mail adress to join many free events like talks, training sessions, and small fares. And it impressed me a lot to walk around Kendall Square near MIT, where you can find an outpost of almost every pharma and biotech company that is renowned in the world. So, some first impressions from Boston:
 |
| the main building of the Harvard Medical School |
 |
Two buidlings of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
I work in the left one, upper half, first window row towards the street, most right window :) |
 |
| The First Church of Christ, Scientist... one of the many huge churches in Boston |
 |
| Sunset over Bunker Hill Bridge |
 |
| Boston downtown skyline from Little Italy |
 |
| Old Boston State House between skyscrapers |
 |
| Statue of three lies at Harvard Campus: John Harvard, Founder, 1638 |
 |
| Harvard University Memorial Hall |
 |
| Removing ice in Chinatown |
 |
| Winter sunset in Boston Common |
 |
| Massechusetts State House |
 |
| Freezing cold Boston |
At 20.03., Franzi came to visit me in Boston. Exploring the city together was much more fun^^ Although, we ended up being sick almost for the whole first week. Franzi went to an English school during her first two weeks in Boston. We organzied bicycles, went running together, and joined some social groups (Boston Frisbee, Boston Badminton, English as second language)... in the US people usually use meetup.com for this. Together we explored most sightseeing places in Boston: Copley square, Boylston Street, Boston Common, Chinatown, Downtown, Harvard+MIT in Cambridge, Bunker Hill, Little Italy, the harbour, and the Seaport. Spring slowly started and made exploring the city more enjoyable too. The snow was gone and the sun managed to warm the city above 15°C during daylight.
Some more impressions before we flew to Miami (04.04.) seeking real sun:
 |
| The First Church of Christ, Scientist in front of the Prudential Center |
 |
| inside The First Church of Christ, Scientist - an elevator brought us to the huge main hall^^ |
 |
Trinity Church next to John Hancock Tower at Copely Square
|
 |
| Squirrels everywhere in Boston Common |
 |
| The way to go :) |
 |
| Sightseeing modus at Bunker Hill |
 |
| Enjoying the sun near Bunker Hill |
 |
| Franzi and I enjoying the sun at Constitution Marina |
 |
Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market in front of the Downtown skyline
and the impressive old customs house (skyscraper with the clock) |
 |
| Crocuses - prove for the arriving spring |
 |
| Boston Harbour from the Harbour Walk at Seaport |
 |
| awesome house spotted on a bike tour through south-west Boston |
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen