Back in Boston we were visited by Bine, her sister and Tobias. They stayed two nights for sightseeing in Boston and then left with Franzi for Portland, Maine (12.05.) while I was working that week. Franzi returned the day after (13.05.) to Boston. Saturday (16.05.) we went on quite a bike trip. From Boston we cycled via the Minuteman Commuter Bikeway to Lexington. We made a short stop in Arlington when we heard a BBQ fest going on... however, the fest was organized in a way that you had to pay entrance to be able to order food from a BBQ place... that only works in the US^^ 22 km later we arrived in Lexington where the American war for independence started. However, we were quite disappointed as the small town has not much too offer... except for ice cream at the candy store :D the ride here was much nicer than the town itself. We then cycled to the Burlington mall for some shopping and returned for sunset to Boston Chestnut Hill Reservoir (another 42 km^^). We then grabbed dinner at
The Abbey after the tapas places we wanted to go to first had 30min queues and we were hungry. The Abbey surprised us with modern American cusine and the best french fries I ever ate - probably thanks to the truffle cheese topping^^ A nice last day together in Boston. The next day (17.05.) Franzi returned to Leipzig :(
 |
| free art in riverway park near my flat on our way to Lexington |
 |
| best place in Lexington - the candy store :D |
 |
| sunset over Chestnut Hill Reservoir |
During a
GAIN-network meeting (20.05.) I met Patrick who invited me to a friend's farewell bbq party at the seaport district. I joined together with Christian. We bought some meat and beer and joined the party. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera, so I just have a bad picture from my phone.. the location was amazing... on a rooftop in the hip seaport district with a gorgeous view of Boston downtown. Shotly after, Patrick gave me the tipp to visit Boston Common for Memorial Day (24.05.), which turned out to be a great advice. For Memorial Day Boston Common harbors an American flag for each fallen Bostonian soldier... these thousands of flags are quite picturous :)
 |
| Boston downtown view from seaport rooftop BBQ party place :) |
 |
| Boston Common during Memorial Day... |
 |
| thousands of flags |
 |
| I came late, just before sunset they remove all flags |
 |
| opposite direction of Boston Common^^ |
 |
| everyone seems to enjoy the great weather :D |
The next Saturday (30.05.) I further explored Boston and cycled from my flat down to Carson Beach and continued to Pleasure Bay and Castle Island. The latter harbors the Fort of Independence. On my way back I went through Seaport and Downtown to the Esplanade where I read a book and enjoyed some sunbathing. Later that night I visited Patrick for some beer... quite a nice exploring day :D
 |
| view from Pleasure Bay to Carson Beach |
 |
| passing the hip Seaport district |
 |
| Partisans memorial near Boston's World Trade Center |
 |
| bike route from Little Italy to the Esplanade |
Thusday the next week (04.06.) we went on a harbor sunset cruise organised by the graduate students office of Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. One of the best things about Boston is its great access to water, especially the ocean. Skyline vistas from a boat while planes fly just above you for landing on Logan airport. All this combined with a sunset and some booz - awesome! :D
 |
| plane and ship before Boston skyline during sunset :D |
 |
| harbor cruises are simply great :D |
 |
| Boston skyline shortly after sunset |
A week later (13.06.) I was in need for some sport and decided to cycle to Salem the witch town. I started early that Saturday, cycled along the Esplanade, Charles River Dam, past Bunker Hill to the Northern Strand Community Trail. The way between Bunker Hill and the Community Trail was along the common street, but other than that I enjoyed a perfect cycle path :) Also the last kilometers before Salem led me along the street. 36km later I arrived Salem. The first place I visited was the Witch Trials Memorial where witches were sentenced to death at the end of the 17th century. I then went to the Maritime National historic site, the House of the Seven Gables and Salem Common. Overall I was a bit disappointed and expected Salem to be a bit more spectacular. Thus, I continued to Revere Beach to meet Jens and his new girlfriend Andrea. Cycling along the super long Revere Beach was great. 20km later I joined Jens and Andrea and ate a huge beef burger for super late lunch :D The blue line brought me back to town for some late work^^ Except from some sport and many impressions the day ended with quite a sunburn for me :P
 |
| street art on the Northern Strand Community Trail |
 |
| Salem's Witch Craft Museum from Salem Common |
 |
| super long Revere Beach |
 |
| me enjoying a huge beef burger :D |
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen