When I came back (26.04.) to Boston from
Japan, I stayed with an Airbnb for the first nights. Because I had to leave my old apartment
when I went to Tokio. I had a tiny place in Brookline Village (Brook St). Stefan was scheduled to visit me in Boston during
his around-the-world-trip on 30.04. and Franzi came on 1st of May... quite a packed week. Just on Wednesday (29.04.) I got to know that I could move into my new aparment already the next day (30.04.) instead of the day after. As I had already booked another Airbnb for Stefan an myself, Stefan was lucky to have it all to himself when he arrived^^ After I brought Stefan to his Airbnb, we went to Chinatown for dinner. Then we walked to
Howl at the Moon bar where we had several drinks I watched the students from BU (Boston Univeristy) and NEU (North Eastern University) celebrating the end of their exams. It didn't take long until the only old ladys in the place sat down next to us, talked to us and forced us to go dancing.
The next day (01.05.) I sent Stefan to Copely Square, Boylston St (shopping), Boston Common and Old Boston Statehouse, while I went to work. Later we met at Lechemere station where I picked up most of my belongings from Christian. Stefan helped me carrying them back to my new apartment., before we had the best spare ribs I ate so far at
Soulfire next to my apartment at Brigham Circle. Then I went to the airport to pick up Franzi... this time I even had a flower to say hello to her. But she was a little distracted as her flight was 2.5h late and didn't bring her luggage. As it was late we just enjoyed a beer at my new balcony before going to sleep.
On Saturday (02.05.) we took the Metro to Haymarket and visited Quincy Market for lunch. Stefan was amazed by all the food that was available there :) After lunch we went to the harbour, crossed to seaport and walked along the harbour walk. Then we continued to the Harpoon Brewery where we met with some friends from Franzi's English meetup group to take a Brewery tour. The tour was not too interesting, but the beer testing was :) Great deal for 5$ and the Pretzels outside in the beerhall are the best Pretzels I have ever eaten so far! (Germans usually don't believe that). Then we went back to our apartment as Franzi's luggage was supposed to come - but it didn't. Christian joined us for another beer and we tried to find a place to watch the "greatest box fight ever". After we found out that only a handful bars broadcasted the event, we went to Christian's place to buy it via his payTV connection - no success either. So we went to bed without the box fight after another beer.
 |
| our sightseein crew :) |
 |
| Faneullhall Marketplace |
 |
| huge dining room inside Quincy Market |
 |
| entering Harpoon Brewery... |
 |
| ....stealing one of their trucks... |
 |
| ...having fun on the tour.... |
 |
| ...and drinking beer :) |
The next day (03.05.) we read in the newspapers that the fight was not as good as it was supposed to be... so we didn't miss too much. This day we went with Stefan to Bunker Hill. After climbing the obelisk, we went to the tiny harbour, crossed the bridge and walked down the Esplanade along Charles River. The spring was in its best time with great sunny weather and a full cherry blossom - just almost a month later than in Japan. Stefan hated us for making him walk all that way^^ We ended at the Fenway Stadium and watched a game Boston Red Sox vs New York Yankees. Stefan explained us how the game works... it took 5 hours, the beer was expensive, the food expensive and bad, it was still rather cold at night, and the game was boring. Though, I was told that it was a very exciting game. Aside from a shot by shot video analysis during the game the last minutes were really quite interesting: Red Sox were 5:8 behind the Yankees in the last inning, Red Sox's hitter wer in, with 3 balls, 2 outs and a Red Sox player on every base... a homerun would now give 4 points to the Red Sox and the game would end 9:8. The hitter hits the ball, it flies high, but comes back to early and a Yankee catches it in the air - all Red Sox out - game over. Nice last minutes when the whole stadium stood up drumming on chairs around them... still the boring 5h before were not really worth it - I don't plan on going again.
 |
| ice cream break after climbing the Bunker Hill Monument |
 |
| Spring feeling at Boston's Esplanade |
 |
| Fenway Stadium: |
 |
| Boston Red Sox vs New York Yankees (5:8) |
Monday (04.05.) started with another great breakfast on my balcony before Franzi and Stefan cycled to Harvard and MIT while I went to work. My colleague Rosa defended her PhD thesis this day and at the evening we all drank some beer together at Mission Bar at Brigham Circle. Franzi and Stefan joined us and had quite some fun engaging Americans in embarrasing talks^^
Tuesday (05.05.) morning, Stefan left Boston towards Washington. Today was Franzi and my 2nd anniversary. When I came back fom work we cycled to the Esplanade at Charles river watching the sunset. This was when I asked Franzi to marry me - and she promptly answered "yes" :D
Afterwards we went to the Italian restaurant
Al Dente in Northend. Tasty and big portions :) An after dinner walk around charming Northend before we cycled back home.
 |
after sunset under a blossing cherry tree at Boston's Esplanade (Franzi wearing her new ring) :D |
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen