Donnerstag, 23. Oktober 2014

2) Exploring Taipei: Taipei101, Longshan Temple, Chiang Kai-Sheik and Din Tai Fung

On monday (20.10.) evening we arrived at the guesthouse of Academica Sinica in Taipei. Generally, the guesthouse was very good... only compared to the 5 star hotel before it was quite rusty :P Right at the first evening we went to see the famous Taipei101... even if only from outside^^
The next morning (21.10.) Boopathi showed us around Taipei before the main conference started. First the Longshan Temple, which is a really relaxed place in the morning! Next we went to the Chiang Kai-Sheik memorial hall. An impressive place that remembers of the first president of Taiwan. Taiwanese like to see themselves as independent of China, although they are not really.
After the opening ceremony we went to Raohe night market, which is where Simon and I tried "stinky tofu". It doesn't taste as bad as it sounds or smells, still it was disgusting :P

Taipei101 behind a huge shopping mall
relaxed Longshan Temple
Praying at Longshan...
...more praying
simply a charming place :)
massive Chiang Kai-Sheik memorial hall.
the building behind in the middle of the picture is Taipei101 :)
 As this conference was not very exciting nor interesting, most fellows decided to rather explore Taipei^^ Bruno and I had a walk in the morning (22.10.) through the streets. We also visited the Pacific Core or "Living Mall". It is supposed to have a crazy space-ship like look. The look was indeed very unusual, but not too exciting nor like a space ship. At evening a group of us enjoyed dinner at the Din Tai Fung Michelin Star restaurant within Taipei101's mall. After dinner we made a small photo-session in front of Taipei101. Afterwards Simon, Sergej from Russia, Ivan from Spain/Serbia, Ingrid from Taiwan and I went to a real bar in Taipei... one with a crazy name Woolloomooloo. Nice but not special. At thursday (23.10.) I presented my poster at the conference. I joined the group at evening for another Din Tai Fung meal and finally going up the Taipei101 (we were lucky to receive free tickets through the conference). The view was great although it was rather misty. Somehow I love this building, it is really amazing!

YSP fellows after dinner at Din Tai Fung
back: Simon, I, Ivan, Sergej, Engin
front: Ingrid, Yu, Firdaus, Nina, Kyle
Photo-session in front of Taipei101
Simon, me and Sergej
View from Taipei101's observation deck

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Popular posts (last 30days)